Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Next great American Band - Show 1

Fox TV reality show “The Next Great American Band” debuted last night. (Oct 19, 2007) and here are my thoughts.

First of all the show was way more interesting then the early audition shows for big brother American Idol. Although we had to listen to a few goofy bands without talent, for the most part the show was directed at the better bands in the competition with a few exceptions. The Likes of You, an LA based band that has toured with Hall and Oats and Denver and the Mile High Orchestra a big band from Nashville seemed to be shorted on face time. Maybe the producers didn’t want to show the best until later weeks?

The bands that did make it were all pretty good except three of them. (see below) Certainly Fox TV and the producers know television and the show is clearly marketed to a Friday night demographic. None of the super hard rock bands were put through and for the most part no one watching the prime time show should be offended. Here’s my take on the finalists.

Not good enough for TV –

Rocket – This female punk band should go ahead and pack their bags. Musically they don’t stand up to the rest, and Ian’s comment about the good looking one? Classic.

Light of Doom – A group of thirteen year olds imitating Bon Jovi. Somehow seeing the kids without their shirts on seemed a little perverse to me. Although the performance was pretty good, they are still just thirteen. The musicianship was simply not there. Great for thirteen year olds, not for those seeking a professional career. My advice? Come back in ten years and show us something new. One last suggestion for the judges; last night when The Big Toe played Ian Dickson said he closed his eyes so that he could properly judge them. I suggest the same approach for Light of Doom.

Dot, dot, dot - Besides the crazy name, could you at least stop jumping around long enough to play the right notes?

Good enough to be interesting –

Tres Biem – This 1960’s retro band was decent. I am unsure if they are interesting enough to hang on however. I grew up in the sixties and this was a nice imitation but now I am too old to go back. No votes from me.

The Hatch – I was digging this group for the most part until Sheila E asked the lead singer to come and look into her eyes. Too much Paula Abdul here and it creeped me out. Overall not a bad band although now I have to watch with my eyes closed.

The Clark Brothers – This band was fun and they put a nice twist on an old gospel tune This little light of mine. The problem I have with this group is that without a bass player or drums the music is too thin. Can the electric slide player impress every week or will it just get old? Stay tuned.

The Muggs – This blues band from Detroit was pretty good. Although I understand the back story on the bass player, I am unsure if they were good enough without the keys to stay with the best ones below.

Cliff Wagoner and Ol #7 – I didn’t find the impromptu cover of Like a Virgin even remotely interesting. Bluegrass is still bluegrass. I don’t see these guys staying long unless every hillbilly in Kentucky actually has a phone.

The Best of the Night –

The Likes of You – This band sounded the most current of all the bands in the competition. Again, I wish we could have heard more from them but the producers decided to edit them out. They played and sang really well and clearly look good enough to make it to the end.

Sixwire – These guys sound super commercial. They are great singers, players, and are clearly professionals. The big question for Sixwire is whether or not the other country/blues/bluegrass groups divide up the voters.

Franklin Bridge – This band hangs with all of them. The R & B/soul sound was current, cool and grooved. Some of the best players in the show are in this band. Their only concern should be if this show actually has an audience/demographic that will appreciate how good they are.

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra - Now were talking. I’ve heard some say that Big Band died ten years ago. Really? Tell that to Michael Buble’, he sold over 2 million discs last year. These guys can give Brian Setzer, Harry Connick and Michael Buble’ a run. As long as they stick to what they do best (and get rid of the red suit) I think they should make it to the final three. Clearly this band was the most entertaining and I wish we could have heard more of their audition.

Final thoughts-

I hope the producers make the bands play more original music. No need to hear a bunch of covers that I can get that at most clubs around the country. Speaking of best original song, it was from either from Sixwire or Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. It looks like both of these bands have writers who can weave a melody that people will remember.

So that’s it for now. I will post next week after we get to see more of the bands and I get a better feel for it all.

2 comments:

runningman said...

If anyone is expecting the best band to actually win this competition, please get a reality check. If Sanjaya can make a deep run into the finals on the regular Idol show, so can this made-for-tv finals appearance by light of doom. And here i am falling into the trap of exactly what the producers want, talking about the bands they want to feature for ratings. Ug! I will simply refer to the above band by the name, Teenage Mutant Metallica Clones in order to not get them more hits in cyberworld.

Does this blogger like Denver and the Mile High Orchestra at all?

Looking forward to Friday. May the BEST BAND win!

musikman said...

I like them a lot. I finally get to see a band playing real instruments get a few props. BTW I like your idea of not calling them by name. I may want to borrow your idea!